Free advice about Energy Performance Certificates legal requirement

As from October 2008 the landlord or seller of a property have a legal obligation to provide an Energy Performance Cetificate [EPC] regardless of whether an agent acts on their behalf or not. Properties put on the market before the 1st October now have until the 4th January 2009 to provide an EPC. In some instances business owners will need a separate EPC for any residential accommodation attached. Residential and commercial buildings – whether shops, offices, factories or workshops will need one, unless they qualify for exemption. As soon as you think you might sell or let your property you need to arrange an energy assessment by a properly accredited assessor. The certificate should be given to the prospective tenant or buyer at the earliest opportunity and no later than when a viewing is carried out, when written information is provided about the building, or in any event before entering into a contract to sell or let. This is a legal requirement.

What are the penalties for not having an EPC?

If a trading standards officer requests an EPC for a building constructed, sold or let and the responsible person does not provide it within seven days then they will be liable for a penalty charge notice. Failure to provide an EPC to a tenant or buyer will usually result in a penalty of 12.5% of the rateable value of the property.

The system is rather complicated so we are here to help you and recommend a suitable certificate. There is no charge for the clients of County Business Sales for this advice.

Please feel free to contact your regional office.